Thursday, October 30, 2014

Exercise Bulimia, a Serious Condition

We all know about the dangers of eating disorders, anorexia and bulimia. But have you heard about the newest danger, getting too much exercise.
These phenomena left me a bit speechless. Exercise and I have this ongoing love/hate relationship. Back when I was fourteen years of age, I began exercising. It was the craze of aerobics and all those cute exercising outfits.
I hated gym as a class. But I loved dancing with all those beautiful actresses and models via by video tapes. This love carried on into my late teens and into my twenties. Then life happened. I got busy. I knew I needed to exercise, but it was hard to find the time.
Now that I am thirty something (no don't ask, you never ask a lady her age), I still try to exercise. Some weeks and months, I do good. Some weeks and months, I am just too busy or lazy.
Then I hear about this new disorder. It is actually called exercise bulimia. It is a disorder where the person is compulsive when it comes to exercising. The person uses exercise as a tool to keep from getting fat. But it is more than that.
In the regular form of bulimia the person eats food and then purges in from their body. Sometimes a person who suffers from exercise bulimia will do exactly the same thing. In this case, the purging is the exercise itself.
The person will exercise his or herself away sometimes literally. Their weight will start going down and left untreated, they will eventually become sick or worse, just with the normal bulimia we all have heard and read about over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment